XXIII.NAGAVAGGA. THE ELEPHANT
320. As an elephant in the battlefield withstands the arrows shot from a bow, even so will I endure abuse; verily most people are undisciplined.
321. They lead the trained (horses or elephants) to an assembly. The king mounts the trained; best among men are the trained who endure abuse.
322. Excellent are trained mules, so are thoroughbreds of Sindh and noble elephants; the tuskers; but far more excellent is he that trains himself.
323. Surely never by those vehicles would one go to the untrodden land (Nibbăna), as does one who is controlled through his subdued and well-trained self.
324. The uncontrollable, captive tusker, named Dhanapălaka, with pungent rut flowing, eats no morsel; the tusker calls to mind the elephant forest.
325. The stupid one, when he is torpid, gluttonous, sleepy, rolls about as he lies like a great hog nourished on pig-wash, again and again goes to rebirth.
326. Formerly this mind went wandering where it liked, as it wished, as it listed; today with attentiveness I shall completely hold it in check, as a mahout a rut-elephant.
327. Take delight in heedfulness; guard your mind well. Draw yourself out of the evil way like an elephant sunk in the mire.
328. If you get a prudent companion (who is fit) to live with you, who behaves well and is wide, you should live with him, joyfully and mindfully overcoming all dangers.
329. If you do not get a prudent companion (who is fit) to live with you, who behaves well, and is wise, then like a king who leaves a conquered kingdom, you should live alone as an elephant in the elephant forest.
330. Better it is to live alone. There is no fellowship with a fool; let one live alone doing no evil, being care-free, like an elephant in the elephant forest.
331. When need arises, happy (is it to have) friends; happy is contentment with just this and that; merit is happy, when life is at an end; happy is the shunning of all ill.
333. Happy is virtue till old age; happy is steadfast confidence; happy is the attainment of wisdom; happy is it to do no evil.