XX.MAGGAVAGGA. THE WAY
274. This is the only Way, there is none other for the purity of vision; do you follow this Path. This is the bewilderment of Măra.
275. Entering upon that Path you will make an end of pain; having learnt have I taught you the Path that removes the thorns.
276. You yourselves must make an effort; the Tathăgatas are only teachers. The meditative ones who enter the way are delivered from the bonds of Măra.
277. "Transient are all compound things" : when this one discerns with wisdom, then is one disgusted with Ill ; this is the Path to Purity.
278. "Sorrowful are all compound things" : when this one discerns with wisdom, then is one disgusted with Ill; this is the Path to Purity.
279. "All Dhammas are soulless" ; when this one discerns with wisdom, then is one disgusted with Ill; this is the Path to Purity.
280. The idler who strives not when he should strive, who though young and strong is slothful, with mind and purpose depressed, the lazy one does not by wisdom realize the Path.
281. Watchful of speech, well restrained in mind, let him do nought unskilful through his body; let him purify these three ways of action, and win the Path realized by the sages.
282. Indeed from meditation wisdom arises, without meditation wisdom wanes; knowing this twofold path of gain and loss, so let him conduct himself that wisdom grows.
284. For as long as the brushwood (of passions) of man towards women is not cut down even a jot, so long is his mind in bondage, like the milch calf to its mother-cow.
285. Cut off your affection as an autumn lily with the hand; cultivate the very path of Peace. Nibbăna has been expounded by the Auspicious One.
286. Here will I live in the rains, here in the autumn and the summer: thus the fool muses. He realizes not the danger (of death).
287. The doting man with mind set on children and herds, death seizes and carries away, as a great flood a slumbering village.
288. No sons are there to give protection, neither father nor even kinsmen; for him who is overcome by death no protection is to be found among kinsmen.
289. Understanding this fact; let the virtuous and wise person swiftly clear the way that leads to Nibbăna.